Sunday

To be grown.

Do you ever think of how odd it is to be an adult? When I converse with people, acquaintances, sort-of friends, they're also grown, perhaps slightly older than I, they're also grown and they're responding to me like an adult with adult ideas and adult words. It's quite strange. I sometimes feel as if still 13, wishing I could be in my twenties so I can be respected and listened to and now that I'm here, the feeling of being 13 is still there however, my mind is endlessly more advanced, my thought processing has elevated greatly and so has my understanding of life experiences. Although, I am aware of all this..perhaps to a degree that it makes me feel astonished at the words I speak and efficiency of my comprehension. I wonder if anyone else feels like this, I am sure many do, but do not speak of it in fear of losing respect or credibility as a grown person.

I must say, being grown is wonderful, to have this body that I can utilize, to have discovered my interests and subjects of study, to know what I like as well as dislike. It is quite magnificent, but still strange. I wonder if I will feel this way when I am older, when I settle more into the adult mentality; I probably will, I hope I will. I think losing the sense of childhood and freedom to do as you wish is essentially forgetting how to breathe.

No comments: