Wednesday

Music and its origins within us

I know that whenever people hear music, eventually, they fall in love with one particular melody from a particular song by a particular artist. We don't know why we love that one piece... we cannot explain why something one can love, another can loathe. All I can do, is present a theory; rationalize a sensical explanation that may only be viable in my own mind.

When I look around me and to try to comprehend the reasons why I find some things to be more beautiful than others, I always hear a song. Whenever I lay on sand at the beach and look out at the wide, mysterious ocean, I hear a song; a different song every time but nonetheless... there's always a faint melody floating above that moment. Whenever I think of my mother and how she would play with my hair for hours because she loved the way it felt against her fingertips, there was a song playing. Every time I see the man I love, there's a song playing, always a faint, hovering melody. A different one every time.

I have come to think that it's how our our minds were built. The music we are meant to listen to is in our bones.

No comments: